How do we manage & prevent mask related acne?
Acne mechanic, or ‘maskne’ to you & I, is a clinical term for friction, rubbing or irritation to the skin creating micro tears. Masks trap humidity, sweat, dirt & oil therefore the bacteria & dirt sitting on the skins surface is being pushed into those tears, leading to inflammation and acne. This has been a problem mainly affecting medical workers however since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic it is a problem that a lot more of us are facing. Acne forms where the mask sits on the face such as bridge of the nose, chin & cheeks. They will begin as whiteheads, transform into blackheads once oxidized by the air and they can continue to develop into acne or even cysts.
Simple Yet Effective Steps:
Wash your face!
Washing your face in the morning with a gentle cleanser removes bacteria, dirt and oils from the night before and will prevent bacteria from sitting under the mask. In the evening, cleansing the skin will remove bacteria, oils and sweat that have accumulated through the day. Always make sure you are cleansing thoroughly, spend a good one to two minutes massaging the cleanser into the skin and of course use a good quality one!
- By Mukk Algae Face Wash: This cleanser is ideal daily use and is for normal, combination & acne prone/oily skin. This gel cleanser is formulated with natural salicylic acid (big enemy of acne!), white willow bark, that will deep clean the skin and help to dissolve dirt, oil and bacteria sitting in the pores.
- By Mukk Cleansing Milk: The clue is in the name but this milky cleanser is a gentle and soothing product ideal for dry and sensitive skin. Enriched with hydrating and nourishing oils care and protect the skin whilst cleansing. The addition of bergamot and lemon essential oils with calm irritated, inflamed or dry skin. It's a perfect anti-maskne product!
Wash your mask every time you wear it
It is recommended to wash fabric face masks after every use. This eliminates the risk of coming into contact with the bacteria on the mask and reduces the chances of potential breakouts/acne. Please note, the guidelines on washing & re-using masks depends on whether you are using fabric masks or medical. Please do your research and follow the hygiene recommendations.
Wash your hands!
In our daily lives, we come into contact with a large amount of bacteria and germs. To prevent spreading those germs, washing our hands thoroughly with warm water and soap kills the bacteria. Try to not touch your face through the day as this transmits germs from your hands onto your face (et voilà - acne!) so now is the perfect time to invest a good quality soap!
- Zhenobya Aleppo Soap 12%: These creamy & very traditional soaps are handcrafted with olive oil to keep your skin soft and laurel oil is gentle on the skin but thanks to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties it will also cleanse the skin and eliminate bacteria.
- OnlyBio Hand Wash: Made with their own patented ingredient ‘Biorafinated Rapeseed Surfactin’, this gentle handwash will foam generously while respecting the wellbeing of your hands. Your hands will feel clean, moisturised and nourished.
Maskne Skincare Essentials:
Our secret weapon against maskne & top tip for you! Hydrosols are a fantastic multi-purpose products we recommend you to use every couple hours when wearing a mask! At J’adore bio, we are lucky to carry an incredible array of hydrosols that are ideal for everyone!
- Lavender Hydrosol: This is great for dry or sensitive skin as it will soothe and calm irritation, it can be applied liberally to the face after cleansing and it can also be sprayed through the day.
- Ministerstwo hydrosols are more ‘treatment’ hydrosols, they do all of the hard work for you. Witch Hazel & Bay Laurel Hydrosol are ideal for acne prone/oily & combination skin. These hydrosols can be used to treat specific skin problems but can also be used through the course of your skincare routine as preventative measures. I would not advise putting these on over makeup as they are treatment based hydrosols so they will work at their best on freshly cleansed skin.
Acids & enzymes
Scrubs with acids and enzymes may sound harsh but they can be gentle! They exfoliate the skin and dissolve the dead skin cells on the skins surface to prevent breakouts from forming.
- Make Me Bio Vegetable AHA Peeling: Hibiscus flower extract, natural AHA, gently removes dead skin cells and leaves the skin looking bright. Great for all skin types! This is our anti-maskne favourite!
- Clochee Enzyme Fruit Peel: Bromelain and papaya extract gently dissolve dead skin cells and smooth out skin texture. Formulated with coconut oil, the peel also nourishes and hydrates the skin, making it ideal for sensitive & dry skin.
Now it's more important than ever to choose lightweight & fragrance free creams that wont clog your pores. Creams infused with hyaluronic acid work great to hydrate & restore the skins barrier! For the evening, finding a thicker cream will help to repair and soothe the skin, which may be irritated after wearing a mask for a long time. Check out our specific skin categories where you will be able to find the right moisturisers for you!
If you can, avoid wearing make-up under the mask. That's not an option for you? Then choose a BB cream which is much more lightweight and often times infused with skincare ingredients!
- Clochee Illuminating BB Cream SPF 30 & Mattifying BB Cream SPF 50: Formulated with mineral filters, this lightweight base is perfect for everyday use plus it is easy to blend and great for smoothing out the overall complexion.
I know that as gloomy as the days have been, it is hard to believe that we still need to be applying SPF but trust me we do (even with our masks on)! Sun protection all year round prevents wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots and dry skin. Non comedogenic (non-pore clogging) and oil free options are ideal as they work to decrease excess oil that clog pores which leads to acne.
- Suntribe Day Cream SPF 20: All Skin Types. This day cream is perfect for daily use plus offers broad spectrum against UVA/UVB rays. Formulated without water, this cream goes a long way plus its non-clogging properties make it ideal for oily & acne prone skin. The mattified finish it gives you is also perfect as a base under makeup.
Long story short, masks are going to be with us for the foreseeable future and always remember to wear yours to not only protect you but also others! As we head into the winter months, our skin will face a new set of challenges but following these tips and adding a few new products here and there will get you through it, as the 2020 motto seems to be: we will get through it together!